Saturday 6 August 2016

DO NOT ATTEMPT THE "SD CARD + DUAL SIM" Mod on the Note 7!

It has so far been a nightmare, I'm sick, tired and I pray and hope that this doesn't happen to anyone else so I thought to let you guys know. This has nothing to do with the wonderful device nor Samsung, The entire fault is on me. Just me.

Do not attempt the Dual Sim + SD mod on the Note 7. I had it up and running perfectly on my Galaxy S7 Edge and I sold it to move on to the Note 7. Pre-ordered it in Dubai and purchased it right on the launch day August 3rd at 12.01 AM, most likely this is the first ever unit sold to an end User across the whole world. The device was fantastic, the leaks didn't do any justice, the real thing was way more awesome. Drew a lot of attention from strangers, especially when unlocking through the IRIS scanner. It was a whole new experience.

Didn't set it up, kept it on its special place at home waiting for the spigen I ordered to come as I didn't wanna risk scratches on the shiny unit.

Yesterday morning...., I swear if I had a time machine I'd go back...

I tried to put the Hybrid Sim + MicroSD card which I was using on the S7 Edge to the Note 7. I wish I had a save point to go back and revert this. The sim fit on the tray perfectly and slipped right in with much ease than it was on the S7 Edge. Worked like a charm, both stable, images in showed up, signals showed up. Done. My mod still works. Yeay.

Not so much.

Then I decided to remove it, as the phone is still not being used, let’s leave it aside for the spigen to come.

Tried to remove the tray again from the phone, so that I can defrag the microSD before putting it again. Makes the damned gallery load fast. Took the sim pin in the box, inserted through the hole in tray.. Not going in. Tight. Crap. It's a bit tighter than S7 Edge. Pushed it a little bit more inside, uh-huh, not going in. Applied a bit of force and damn it!!!!! The pin went right through like lightning, pushing whatever in ahead of its way. The sim ejection mechanism, the rubber thing you see under the hole of the sim tray was gone. Probably fell in to the inside of the phone. Sim tray didn't move a bit, still in its place. My hands trembled, heart stopped and I just sat there looking at it for a mere decade. I just couldn't believe what just happened, the shiny brand new phone.. Already broken beyond use, my own damned fault. Tried the sim pin again, doesn't even shake the tray. It's just jammed stuck in there. with the Hybrid SIM

Walked right into the Samsung store in the Mall,and the technician's held on to the phone for a few seconds looking at it having a hard time to believe what has happened. Must've thought what a clumsy ass I am, shiny brand new Note 7, not even available for regular customers who didn’t pre-order and he's already receiving one for repair. Might've been the world's first. I used all the Note devices down the line, you will find my posts in all the Note forums in XDA, and in my life this is the first time ever I walked into a Samsung Service Centre. The guy couldn't repair it, and told me in a disappointing tone that he doesn't even know how to open it up and even the tools are not available for it. Darn it. Wish I could slap myself across the face so that I’d wake up from this nightmare. Nope it's real. He’s reasoning was legit, even he was depressed and motionless. It’s too early for even a technician to know how to open this up. He didn’t give up, gave me an address to a main service center of Samsung.

Told me to take it to the main service Centre, and walked out with utter disappointment, my heart already sunken in, legs and hands still trembling. Main Centre was closed at that time, had to stay another day to know the fate and consequences of my mistake. After a long sleepless night, Got to the Service center, was there as soon as it opened. Gave the phone in, even the coordinator lady was surprised, such a new phone, and what have you done?
I know.
Got a rap sheet for the new phone, accepting for repair. Deep mistakes highlighted... Misuse, Warranty Void... Good Gosh. This is a nightmare. It will take 3 days Sir, We will call you when it’s done. It will be repaired, not replaced.

Repairs doesn’t do good to the water resistance of the device. Cannot drop it in water again. Never had a repaired phone in my life, but by experience I've seen a lot, they squeak and creek after being assembled again. It’s a goner. Just like that. One foolish attempt, and drained 3k just in a matter of minutes. Probably the world's first epic fail on Note 7. Can't imagine how the faces of the Samsung Service team would look, when they see what's stuck inside the phone. A MicroSD, uh.... no Wait, There's a sim on the back of it.... What! the heck is this ?

TL;DR - Word of Advice, Don’t jump into risky mods. Don’t ever attempt the SD Card + SIM mod on the Note 7. I've already risked my device, don't risk another device. It's a fabulous device out of the box, use it as it is.

Cheers Guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment