Monday 4 July 2016

Updated Google Play Services killing my phone(s)



I'm running stock AT&T 4.0.4 ROM, rooted with CWM. Google Play Services just updated to version 9.2.56 (034-124593566), and it's sucking my battery dry and making the phone run hot. I have a spare phone and brought it online, and the same thing happened as soon as Google Play Services updated. It is running anywhere from 50% to 80% of my battery when the screen is below 10%. Yep, it's using more than 10x what the screen requires. Battery that used to last 18 hours now lasts 2 to 3. Others have posted similar comments in the Play Store (like that's going to do any good). Common theme is it's older OSes.

I have tried disabling everything and it doesn't do any good. Too many things break if Google Play Services is removed. Going back to an old version is futile -- it self-updates within minutes. I tried GServiceFix and it works for few minutes, then the usage creeps up again.

I sent Google an email, but I expect nothing less than the run-around. So, I turn to XDA Developers.

First, is anyone else here still running stock, and did the same thing happen to you? How about on other ROMs (please specify)? Did you find a fix?

Assuming Google will do little to help, I need to do something to make my phone work right. So if there is a ROM where this is not a problem, I guess it's time to jump in. Problem is, some of the links in this forum are broken. I've found (or already had) most of what I think I need except a version or EFS Professional that works on our phone. I can find no working links to an older version that will do the job. I do have a Nandroid backup (also stored on my NAS), which I believe can restore the EFS, but I'd like to get just the EFS in case I need to load it to the system after flashing. None of the tools available in the Play Store seem to work on the Glide -- I end up with an empty backup directory.

My plan, assuming there is a Jellybean ROM without this issue, is to flash twrp-2.8.4-flashable.zip, since I understand TWRP is required for JB, then do another Nandroid backup with it, then flash whichever ROM is suggested to get over this. I've looked at Bubor's CM10.2, and it looks like it will fill my needs unless it also suffers this problem. If there is a reason I should update the Kernel, please let me know. I have not seen anything that makes me believe I need to.

Man, I wish one of the manufacturers would come out with a similarly sized new phone with a slide-out keyboard and AT&T compatible. I'd gladly upgrade, but there is nothing out there that meets my needs. Samsung S5 mini with slider -- I'm in.



No comments:

Post a Comment