Tuesday 5 July 2016

Google Play Services, Samsung S II epic touch and high battery use



Have a Samsung S2 Sprint Epic Touch D710, Android 4.0.4. One day things were working fine in the morning, then in the early evening while sitting idle, the battery low warning sounded. Pick up the phone and it was very hot. First thought the battery was just bad so I installed a new one once it cooled and charged it. Turn it on and it gets very hot while at idle, and just hot while in use.

Started looking and found "Google Play Services" was at the top in Battery use. The use changes values, but usually in the high 60's to 70's percent range. Also see "Android System" sometimes fights for the top in use with "Google Play Services". And a few times "Android OS" will be above "Screen" in the Battery menu.
While searching for a fix I tried the "clear cache" fix and it did not help. Then I ran across "GSeviceFix" app so I installed that and it did not help at all. I read about starting in Safe Mode so one I figured out how to do that, the phone would not overheat and the battery drain was gone. But my phone service provider (freedompop) app would not work proper and Gmail does not work proper while in Safe Mode.

I found here that a "Fix" was to install "Disable Services" app and disable two Google Location services. I rooted using Kingo (I rooted before I tried the "GServicesFix") and disabled these two services. Not a fix!
Also notice that when I first turn the phone on, it seems to stay cool and no battery drain. But once I open Gmail (have not tried other apps to see if the affect in the same way), even if I close it in the app manager, the phone starts to warm and the battery drain continues. This seems to happen if I do so much as to go into Apps-Settings-Battery just to see what is at the top (Usually Google Play Services). So I don't think it is just related to Gmail.

I also uninstalled all the apps that I never used and were disabled. Google Music, Google+, Google Books, Giggity Giggity Google, Sprint Nascar. . . All that junk. Then I did a Factory Reset. Installed the Gmail app but could not use it as it needs Google Services. As soon as I installed Google Play Services, the heat was on and the battery drained fast. I also tried to limit data usage for the Google Play service but that also did not help.

If no one has an answer to why and what to do about Google Play Services drain on the battery, maybe someone can answer what does not come one when started in "Safe Mode"? I suppose since it is a third party app, I cant look at what is running and what is not with the "Disable Services" App. It does not show on the phone when in Safe Mode.
If I knew what was not starting when in Safe Mode, perhaps I could try turning those things off with the Disable Services app one at a time or so until the drain slows down or sets things as it should be with "Screen" at the top of the battery use list and not in 4th place.



No comments:

Post a Comment