Tuesday 5 July 2016

Google Apps need update after every reboot



I have a very interesting bug that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere: updates for certain apps in the Play Store don't "stick." I run the updates, everything seems to be fine... and then some time later, the Play Store shows those very same apps requiring an update. I've run the update at least 3-4 times at this point, I've tried clearing dalvik and cache. Before installing MM, I factory reset my phone, then factory reset it again after installing MM with ODIN. Many apps were restored using Titanium Backup (except for Google apps).

I became aware of this problem because I kept getting the dreaded "unfortunately, Gmail has stopped" error. After several attempted updates of Gmail and Android System Webview (never sticking), I finally just uninstalled Gmail and installed it fresh from the Play Store. That app seems to be working now (it's only been around 16 hours), but all the other apps that I updated last night are now asking for updates again. Here are problematic apps off the top of my head:

-Beaming Service for Samsung
-Chrome
-Gmail
-Google
-Google Photos
-Google+
-Maps
-Google Play Music
-Google Drive
-Google Text-to-speech
-Hangouts
-Youtube

Update: I manually uninstalled each app listed above and installed directly from Play Store. After reboot, the apps no longer require update, but they all become "first run," ie. Maps asks to accept terms, Hangouts asks for permissions to access contacts, etc. This occurs after every reboot!

I might go back to 5.1.1 because apps like Photos don't work unless you run them that first time. I can't possibly remember to check all of these apps every time I reboot...



No comments:

Post a Comment