Saturday 30 July 2016

OP3 Major Failure

I will start by being blunt. I HATE this phone.
I have had two OPO's. I bought one when it came out, liked it so much that I bought another for my wife. Sure, it had its quirks, but overall a great phone! I skipped the OP2 as I felt it was an incremental step from the OPO. By the time 3 came out, 1 felt sufficiently dated and was in the market anyway; so I jumped on it. I've had it for one month now, and I can't stand it. The phone is completely stock, haven't even rooted it yet.
The POSITIVES:
  • LOVE DASH charging! Charges wicked fast.

  • Battery life is more than sufficient

  • Camera is significantly improved since OPO. Definitely "good enough" now.

Now the bad:
  • Feel without a case is AWFUL. I dropped it 5 days after owning it. I don't usually drop phones. I knew by the feel of it that I wasn't comfortable with it on day 2 and promptly ordered a case and tempered glass cover. I dropped it a day or two before it arrived. My own fault, yes, but the phone does not hold well.

  • No bezel around the screen. I'm by no means overweight, but the skin on my hand where my thumb connects to my hand registers as a touch more often than not. ANNOYING. The case resolved both of the above problems. The phone is at least usable after putting it on.

  • Calls... I had to get a new Nano SIM as the OPO is a micro. Put it in, and have had nothing but problems. I only receive an estimated 33% of the calls made to me. Outgoing calls take a LONG time to initiate (upwards of 30 secs). Also, sometimes, I cannot use the phone like normal... the person can only hear me if I'm on speaker phone with the SCREEN ON!!!! If the screen times out and turns off, they can't hear me. I am on TMO, and spent hours on the phone with support with multiple different people and they swear it is not on their end. I cannot test the Nano SIM in another phone (none of my others accept it).

  • Random calls. It randomly calls people sometimes. This seems to have subsided recently, maybe one of the updates?

  • It recently decided to start randomly rebooting. This was what put me over the edge. I was using navigation out of town heading to the airport, and it decides it wants to reboot. Well, I missed my exit and nearly missed my flight. It has since rebooted itself at least daily. Seems to be mostly when the screen is left on, as it rebooted during a phone call (on speaker with screen on).

  • Priority / Silent mode: Seems after a recent update, it decides to go on silent for no reason. I have to slide the switch up then back to normal to get it off.

  • SMS: Occasionally it doesn't register that an SMS was sent and continues to try sending; and the recipient receives sometimes DOZENS of the same message.

This is all I can think of at the moment, but I think there is something else. I cannot say it enough... I HATE this phone. Hello Nexus, here i come.

No comments:

Post a Comment