Tuesday 12 July 2016

how to change hardware device name



hey guys,

this might be a more broader android question, but either way: is there a way to change the hardware device name of a device?

i.e. my issue is the following - i use the "good for work" application for my work emails. My company basically has every manufacturer added to their approved list (HTC, Samsung, even Nexus devices work no problem). Now that I have my sweet OP3, I get the below error message (pic attached)

"the device hardware version is 'oneplus a3000 android 6.0.1' and is not permitted. Install the application on a permitted device."

now - before you tell me to go to my network admins and have the device added - I can't do that for reasons I won't go into here. Basically i want to understand if there's a way to change certain files on the phone that will make this application think it's a nexus device and clear it.

I tried editing the build.prop file (using twrp and adb - since I don't have root) to remove all mention of oneplus, etc. and replacing with "nexus" or something else (used the build.prop file from my 5x for reference). But the app still does not work and the OP3 still shows the model as One Plus 3 in the "about phone" section. This is really fascinating to me. What is driving this device's identity?

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you might have. :eek:








Attached Thumbnails


Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	IMG_20160711_153357.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	265.8 KB<br/>ID:	3811186
 














No comments:

Post a Comment