Wednesday 20 July 2016

How do I force set a default music player on my 5X?



I have DoubleTwist (for syncing to my PC) and BlackPlayer (for actually playing music) installed and would like to set BlackPlayer as my default music player. However, whenever I go to Apps > Configure Apps > Default apps, the only four lines I see are:
  • Browser App: Chrome

  • Phone App: Phone

  • SMS App: Textra

Could be a side effect of the new Marshmallow philosophy of "only ask for something (e.g. permissions) when needed, as there's no option to create a new default.

But I even opened an mp3 file from my downloads folder, got the prompt to select a music player, checked off "BlackPlayer" and "always" instead of "just once", and the Default Apps screen didn't change. Also, when I try to open a file manually, BlackPlayer says "Error loading track!" - though this may be a separate issue.

This is a problem, because I cannot start music playback with the screen locked most of the time (sometimes it works, but usually not) using my aux cord, which has inline volume and playback controls. If I try to use OK Google to play music, it says "you don't have a default app selected for playing music, please choose one on the screen at your convenience". But when I open the screen, there's no list of options, and if I say "play music" again it just brings up a search box showing search results for the Play Music app.

This is really starting to get on my nerves that I can't use the cord I bought with controls without first opening my phone and starting music playback manually. Anyone know how to force Marshmallow to automatically play from a specific app using controls?



No comments:

Post a Comment