Friday 15 July 2016

Fried it good, me thinks (SM-T700, green screen flash, then dead)



After a long day streaming Pandora from my Tab S in my car, running on battery, no charger connected, I decided to put it on a charger and turned on navigation about an hour from my destination as I was in an unfamiliar city. After about 45 minutes, I saw a bright green flash from the screen. A few seconds later, and there were more flashes and it turned off. I have not been able to get it to come back on. I have tried charging it, on a charger and on PC. I have tried every combination of home+vol up/down+power I have seen in several threads, while connected to a PC, to a charger, and not connected at all. The PC does not recognize the Tab at all, ever, during any of the manipulations.

I have seen where some have luck just letting the tab sit for a few days, and it will be miraculously revived by charging, so I will try that. I have also seen where some force charge the battery using the wires from a stripped USB cable directly on the battery terminals, and as my warranty is long past void, I will try that too.

Here's my question: If none of that works, given the description, does anyone have a good idea that it may be just the screen or the battery that may need to be replaced? Or is it more likely a motherboard issue? Is there any way of telling? Despite the heavy use, the TAB did not seem excessively hot. I have felt it much hotter in the past .

I'm a tab-a-holic, and use this thing all day, every day. I use it for work, and for reading and movies at home. I'm a little frustrated as I have yet to own any tablet that lasted two years. I really don't want to spend the money for another one right now, and, if needed would prefer to repair this one if I can save a few bucks.

And, if it's relevant, the Tab is rooted, running AOSP 6.0.



No comments:

Post a Comment