Monday 18 July 2016

Free upgrade to HTC 10 from M9. Should I do it?



Hello. I'm part of a small group of people that happen to quality for free upgrades from HTC directly (don't ask.. long story).

I had an M8 (it was my first HTC phone, fell in love with it). I got the M9 at a smoking price so I chose to jump to it. Little did I know I'd be able to get an HTC 10 for free later if I wanted.

So here's the deal. I root/s-off my phone (I use Verizon so this is non-trivial from what little reading I've done so far). I have my M8 still, so I'll use that while I send the 10 off to be s-off'd. Once I get it back I'll try the stock to see what its like, but then I'll likely switch to the ViperROM unless I am persuaded to try something else. I'm a fan of "using what works" as I'm getting past that stage of reflashing something new every week "just because I can".

So is the 10 worth the effort to upgrade? I don't have to upgrade. In fact, I can simply wait for something else from HTC. I can only get one upgrade, and once I do it I can't upgrade for 12 more months. So should I upgrade?

The reason I'm asking is because its quite a bit of work to do this (gotta mail the 10 to someone to get s-off, gonna have to do firmware upgrades, flash a new ROM, reload my apps, etc.). Is the 10 such a better phone that it's worth doing for free or should I wait? I really don't have any complaints with my M9. I don't use cameras on phones, and I work from home so my battery is almost always fully charged. But I do like having more power for games or whatever I feel like doing.

The only thing I can think of that I wish my phone had besides more processing power and more battery life (not that the M9 disappoints) was a slightly bigger screen (I envy the Note screens!) because I'm a big guy. I'm 6'3" and I have big sausage fingers, so small screens are hard to use.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment