Thursday 21 July 2016

Ebay phone: Need some help understanding this OS and how to upgrade



Hello,

I am new here but I have been reading ALOT. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900P off ebay and it came rooted with Kitkat 4.4.2 installed. Although it works fine in Canada in general, it's been causing me a TON of headaches. The biggest problem is roaming...I have the "you have lost data connectivity because you left your home network with data roaming turned off" error, which no one seems to have a solution for online. Sim cards in the US didn't work at all but my Canadian one is fine and no issues in Central America, so it is a good travelling phone in general. There are a ton of Chinese characters that populate the phone.

So I'm wondering what the best step would be for flashing a new ROM? How do I do a ROM backup on a phone that is already rooted? Is it safe to install recovery onto the phone? Is there some way to tell if one is already installed? Basically I would like to flash one of the custom Lollipop or Marshmallow ROMs, but above all I need to fix the roaming issue ASAP.

Phone info provides the following:
Phone Model: SM-G900P
Device Type: klte
Product Name: klte
Country of origin: not listed
Original CSC Code: CHN
Firmwares CSC Code: <root required>
Active CSC Code: CHN / TGY
CSC Country: USA/CN
Bootloader/PDA/CSC/BASEBAND version: G900PVPU1AND2
Root Existance: Yes
Android Version: 4.4.2

Any help on some steps to backing up/flashing and upgrading to Lollipop would be fantastic. The tricky part is understanding what has been done to the phone and what I can do to not screw it up lol.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment