Tuesday 26 July 2016

Weird Issue - MicroSD card inserted results in wonky wifi and other issues



OK. So I bought my S7 Edge two weeks ago. It's been great. Lovely phone. Actually really enjoying the Good Lock + "stock" theme setup.

I bought a Patriot 128gb MicroSDXC card from amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-128GB-...+128gb+microsd) last week.

At first things seemed fine. I started downloading all my Google Play Music to my sd card. I changed camera storage to the SD card. Great.

Then i started noticing that Google Play Music was sometimes not registering that I had an SD inserted. I had to change my storage to internal card and back to external card to get it to work again (which is a pain because that means transferring all my music back and forth)

Three days ago, I started getting stranger issues. Whenever the microSD card was inserted, my wifi toggle off after a few seconds of downloading from Google Play Music. I would then not be able to toggle it back on until i restarted the phone and paused any Google Play Music downloads. This seemed to progress into an even worse issue where my phone would freeze and become unresponsive while wifi was toggled off (and unable to toggle on due to whatever the heck was going on due to the SD card).

I feared that my phone was a lemon and I would have to send it in. The customer service at Rogers (where i got the phone) knew nothing and said it would be 3-4 weeks for a replacement to arrive or for it ot be repaired (terrible).

As a last ditch effort, I took out my microSD card. Voila. All issues are gone. Wifi does not break after downloading music. No phone freezing.

What gives? Anybody else with this issue? Is it just a faulty SD card? Why would the SD card break the wifi? Do MicroSD cards with this phone often cause wifi issues? It might make sense since the sim card is close to the SD card - perhaps the SD card messes with the modem hardware...

What do you think?

I am currently in the process of returning my SD card to get a samsung card. Maybe that will help. I really hope it is not just my phone as this repair process seems stupid.



No comments:

Post a Comment