Tuesday 26 July 2016

System partition access issues after failed root attempt



Hi all,
I recently moved from Windows Phone to Android and have been enjoying fiddling with my phone. I rooted the pone using ODIN and CF Auto Root (CF-Auto-Root-herolte-heroltexx-smg930f.tar.md5). I used Titanium Backup to remove a lot of bloatware from my device, but ended up making a mess of things. I then flashed the stock firmware for my Telstra device from Sammobile (G930FXXU1APF2_G930FTEL1APF2_TEL).

Everything seemed fine, but I now cannot use Titanium Backup to integrate updates or move apps to the system partition. I have tried using ES File Explorer and an adb shell to do this also, but with no luck. The apps either do not work, or are installed back into /data/app. It seems to move the apk to /system/app (I can see it there), then removes the app from /data/app and then hangs. If I reboot the phone, the app is uninstalled (but the apk is still in /system/app). I have noticed via /proc/mounts that the /system partition is often mounted RO. Even when I remount RW after TB starts processing it immediately RO.

I have set the TB to use indirect app loading, enabled USB debugging and unknown sources for apps.

Before I reflashed with the stock firmware I was able to move apps to the system partition (I did Gmail and Google Keyboard and they worked well). Could I have stuffed up my firmware flashing? I only used the AP file, not BL/CP/CSC/UMS that were included in the download.

I apologise in advance if I am all over the shop here with my description. I know enough to get myself into trouble but not enough to get out! And yes, first thing I did after flashing was to back everything up so I don't make the mistake again...



No comments:

Post a Comment