Saturday 16 July 2016

Pros/cons of "upgrading" to vanilla KitKat or Lollipop?



My mother ordered a used (Warehouse Deals) 3rd-gen 8.9", to arrive Monday. I've been reading up a bit and if it's not already updated, at the very least I'll try and save the bootloader from being irrevocably ruined and install TWRP. Fingers crossed.

Assuming the above goes through, beyond that, I'm not sure what to do. It's not my device, so I don't want to spend too much time swapping between ROMS...that in mind, I'm hoping to glean info from you guys who've been running various stuff for weeks/months/years.
So to put it simply:

- How decent is FireOS in general? How much of a pain is it to get gapps and Play Store running properly these days? What kind of app compatibility can I expect in general from non-Marketplace apps?
- How does CM11/KitKat compare to Amazon's flavor, in terms of performance and compatibility?
- How does CM12.1/Lollipop perform on this hardware? I used it on for a while on my phone and was...less than impressed; CM13 turned out to work far better. But then, my phone is old and had middling hardware at best when released, so I suppose it's unfair to prejudge based on that.

I appreciate any and all insights offered. Looking forward to having something "new" to play around with, if only a bit.



No comments:

Post a Comment