Wednesday 6 July 2016

PlayStation Vue Authentication on Fire TV vs Stick



So, I have been connecting to Vue behind a DD-wrt router so that I could access Chicago local networks. I don't live in an area where I can receive local channels OTA.

I have no trouble with the connection through Fire Sticks, but the PS4 and Fire TV box will not allow for authentication. I imagine this is because the hardware in those devices allows for a more complex authentication process and Sony is turning back folks from accessing their servers through VPN's.

Here's what happens:

Fire Sticks when connecting via VPN router - works like a charm.

PS4 and Fire TV box when connecting through VPN router - "There was an error during authentication. Please try again later. Press EXIT to close application."

Here's the part that may tell us something: ALL of the above devices, when connecting through my regular, non-VPN router, all return the message stating that I am currently not connecting in my home area, if I click "yes" a new home area will be established and I will no longer be able to use the old area. Again, all of the devices do that, including the Fire TV box and the PS4.

The question I have for the hive mind is: assuming it's an authentication issue, can I defeat or trick the authentication process? Is there a way to fool Sony's servers into thinking I am not, in fact, behind a VPN? Perhaps I need a different/better VPN?

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.



No comments:

Post a Comment