Friday 15 July 2016

Pixel C: Over-heating due to strong



I have a custom made Android app running on a Pixel C Android 6.0.1. This app is pretty intensive with a lot of ARM Neon assembly calculation (in the Cortex) during video rendering. Plotting the CPU usage shows high % in the 60-80% though it's not 100% all the time.

After 30 seconds or so, the tablet becomes hot though I can still hold it in my hands. The system starts to skip a lot of frames. My guess is that the kernel CPU freq slows down everything. Note that dmesg shows a lot of "lm90 5-004c: temp2 out of range, please check". If I put an injury ice pack below the tablet, the system gets to normal very quickly and I'm getting back the full frame rate.

I think that the kernel cpu freq is a little bit more "aggressively" conservative and I would like to find a way to keep the tablet running as fast as possible - at least longer. I understand that things would need to slow down after a bit, but not after 30 seconds or a minute...

My device information is:
kernel version
3.18.0-00109-g9c052ef
chrome-bot@build276-m2 #1
Tue Apr 5 11:54:32 PDT 2016
Build number: MXC89H

Any idea? Any similar report? Any suggestion?




PS: How do I edit the thread title. I typed it too fast. "Pixel C: Over-heating (intensive Cortex calculation) hits performance badly"



No comments:

Post a Comment