Saturday 16 July 2016

New User - CyanogenMod Questions



Hello,

I received my Nexus 6P yesterday and got my SIM card activated without any issues at Verizon. I immediately took it home, unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP, and then flashed CyanogenMod's latest nightly. After booting in, wireless networks weren't detected, and I only had 3G (no 4G LTE as I should). I restored my backup of the stock ROM that I made in TWRP and it hung at the Google logo. I'm not sure why. I then flashed all the latest factory restore images (MTC19X) to get it working again and determined that the issues I had in CyanogenMod might have happened due to the vendor.img I had on my phone at the time not being compatible with that build of CM13.

My questions are:

1) What are the known issues that would likely occur due to vendor.img being a different version than what CM13 was based on? The concept of vendor.img is new to me. I haven't had this, as far as I know, on any of my other phones (granted I'm coming from a locked Samsung Galaxy S5 that I've had for almost 2 years)

2) How can you easily tell which vendor.img CM was based on so you know which one to flash?

3) Is there anything else I should be made aware of before attempting to flash CM13 again?

4) While using CM13, do most people recommend a custom kernel? If so, which one and how stable is it? What are the benefits of switching from the stock kernel, and how simple is it to go back if there's a problem?

Thanks!!



No comments:

Post a Comment