Thursday 21 July 2016

Moving Pics to new phone while preserving the dates?



Hi all!
An oldie but a goldie!
I've changed from S6 32g, to S6Eedge 64g since I was running out of space.
Now I need to transfer 4000 photos (sorted by date) to the new phone. A direct copy/move from PC converts all the created dates to the current date (ie when transfer was done) which as you can imagine screws everything up royally!


Ive tried and failed in many many many ways including:
FTP
Syncing programs from pc to phone
ADB push
WEBdav
Hail marys, and praying to every god out there

They all bugger up the dates...........

The ONLY ONLY way Ive found out that works is by zipping up the original files, transferring to new phone, and unzipping locally with Total Commander. ONLY Total Commander seems to be able to unzip and preserve the dates, all the other file managers and extracting programs (I tried 10-15) out there can NOT manage this. Total Commander probably works cuz im rooted, and it can use this.

HOWEVER this only worked with smaller directories, but my main pics folder is an 8 gig compressed zip, and when I try the same way Total Commander only manages to unzip some 700 files and stops (anyone else come across this limitation?). So the only way I can manage is to zip up the original files in 7-8 different zip files and unzip locally individually, which is a big hassle.
Ive googled many threads on this problem, most of them were unresolved and some solutions refer to previous android versions or software and dont work anymore.

I'm hoping that you all dont spend four days setting up a new phone everytime ( home screen and app settings is a whole different drama! Thank you Titanium backup! iOS really has the jump on Andoird when it comes to changing phones...)

The only thing I can think of which I havent tried yet is USB OTG, since I dont have the cable. Anyone can confirm whether this method keeps the dates unchnaged?
So in your experience, whats the best way of doing this? How do you guys do it?



No comments:

Post a Comment