Saturday 16 July 2016

IMEI says my Galaxy Note 4 is actually Galaxy S5, unsure on direction for rooting



Was checking out services to unlock my SIM card slot, due to post-rooting was told by network provider to *#*#4636#*#* my phone, which re-provisioned it back to Sprint. But I dropped their service almost a year ago. So aside from the phone constantly trying to reactivate (and failing), I started checking on unlocking the phone from Sprint. I came across IMEI.Info. I put in my IMEI number and found out my Sprint Note 4 is actually a Galaxy S5. (WTF?!?!)

I checked the "About Device", the Software version (after update) is SM-910P (or a Sprint Galaxy Note 4), but from the Status screen (full IMEI number) comes back as a Galaxy S5. At least that's what comes up on that IMEI.info database. I bought the phone from Sprint, so there shouldn't be confusion on model or legitimacy regarding the phone...

That said, after having rooted the phone, and restoring it back (so I could get a network provider's SIM to work), it's at least stable now, able to work from Wifi, but not from anyone's network. When I go to Mobile Network and I "Search Networks", it looks for a few seconds, and comes back with nothing, not even a "No Networks Found". The system is still trying to "provision" from Sprint (old carrier), and I can't kill that operation since I took "root" off. (Grrr...)

My question is, right now I get no network connectivity, partially I understand, because this phone is either CDMA or GSM. I've put in APNs for both (according to instructions from my Network Provider's [not very] Helpline) just to try and get back on a network. The "provider" is a "wholesale" "pay-as-you-go" provider, so they aren't tied to Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.

The phone DOES have a SIM slot AND an SD slot, so I'm confused how to proceed? I would like to root to get some of the bloatware off my phone, but "How" do I root(as Note 4 or S5), and if so, take the examples from the Note 4 (CDMA) or the S5 (GSM)? This IMEI revelation has me very confused. Help please??



No comments:

Post a Comment