Tuesday 5 July 2016

How to unlock SGH-T999 if using 4.4.4 custom ROM



THESE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR THE SGH-T999 MODEL

I few days ago I had to switch from T-Mobile to AT&T. Unfortunately the unlock PIN that T-Mobile gave me did not unlock my rooted SGH-T999 with the
[ROM][OFFICIAL][AOSP][KK][05/09] **C-RoM** -***4.4.4***- -v7.1! - XDA Forum installed.

After doing some reading in the forums, it seemed that downgrading a phone from >=4.3 down to 4.1.1 in order to use the free unlock method, would result in a hard bricked phone. If I remember correctly I also read that downgrading just to 4.3 would also result in a hard brick. I decided to risk it and go for the 4.3 downgrade.
This is what I had to do in order to unlock my phone.

Download the pre-rooted 4.3 stock ROM named T999_UVUENC2 from here [Firmware/OTA's] [root66] SGH-T999(All Variants!) Official & Root66 FW & OTA Updates!

Call your original carrier and ask them for the unlock code (you'll need the main account holder's name, last 4 digits of their social security number, the phone number of the line being switched over, and possibly the IMEI of the phone being switched over).

Make sure your phone has Developer options/USB debugging enabled.

Make a recovery backup of your phone (I suggest saving it in the SD card. I used TWRP). Turn off the phone.

Start your phone by pressing and holding the POWER + HOME + VOLUME DOWN keys until the screen with the yellow triangle with a black exclamation point appears.

Press the VOLUME UP key.

Plug your phone to the computer you intend to use Odin from.

Download Odin 3.09 (for some reason the 3.07 linked here: [Firmware/OTA's] [root66] SGH-T999(All Variants!) Official & Root66 FW & OTA Updates! would not work for me).

Start Odin 3.09 with admin privileges.

Make sure only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" boxes are CHECKED/TICKED.

Click on "AP"

Select the pre-rooted stock ROM you downloaded earlier.

Click "Start"

Once the top left box in the Odin window is Green and says "PASS!" you might find your phone stuck in a boot loop (in my case my phone kept showing the Samsung logo, while periodically flashing the option/back buttons, and vibrating the phone briefly), pull and re-insert the battery.

Press the HOME + POWER + VOLUME UP buttons (when you feel a vibration let go of the POWER button).

<<< Run the wipe/factory reset AND the wipe cache options. >>>

Turn off the phone, insert your new SIM card, and finally turn on the phone.

Your phone should boot properly and show you the welcome screen. The network unlock PIN screen may appear right after the welcome screen appears or after you complete the initial configuration. Enter the network unlock PIN. It should give you a "Successful" message.

Restore the backup you made earlier by first installing the recovery application through Odin (I use TWRP. Follow the same steps for installing the stock ROM), turn off the phone, enter recovery mode by pressing POWER + HOME + VOLUME UP (let go of VOLUME UP when you feel a vibration), find and run the restore image you made earlier.


I hope someone finds this useful.



No comments:

Post a Comment