Sunday 3 July 2016

Damp phone shuts off after boot finishes.



This starts out a little weird.

I woke up, grabbed my phone and discovered it was wet. No particular reason for it, no liquid anywhere near it, no ceiling drips. It was a clear liquid, but a little more viscous than water. I finally decided either my cat puked on it, or this new house has a poltergeist and my phone got slimed...both equally bizarre and unlikely options. I wiped it off and thought little more of it as it was working fine.

A couple hours later I discovered the phone was off. I powered it up and it made it through the process, did the second vibrate and displayed a home screen for maybe half a second before displaying a "System shutting down" TOAST and powering off. Forgetting the morning fluid thing, I tried a few more times and had the same result.

I booted into recovery just fine and wiped Dalvik and rebooted with no improvement. I did a factory reset in recovery and that didn't help either. Opened the cover and found there was a lot more liquid in there. I pulled the cards and battery and put the phone in a tupperware filled with desiccant and left it overnight. Today it booted briefly to the setup screen before announcing a the power down.

My question after all that, does the OS (CM13 at the moment) have some sort of built in safeguard against booting with moisture present which doesn't exist in TWRP? Since recovery is showing no problems I was considering restoring a nandroid backup or maybe just reinstalling. Could there be some sort of software toggle which needs resetting?

Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment