Sunday 3 July 2016

Charger supplied is woefully underpowered (UK Moto G4 16GB) (NOT turbo charger)



Hi all

I am returning to xda after years. Nostalgia aside, this is more of a warning post for people looking to buy this phone. The standard charger I got with this phone outputs 5V, 550mA. Simple math shows that this charger will take 6 hours to charge the 3000mAh battery. In practice, I managed to fill from 5% to 45% in about 2.5 hrs before realizing what an awful charger I had been given and switched to my old Nexus 5 charger (5V, 1200mA). Then from 45% to 100% took less than 90mins. So the battery is OK. The software is fine and there are no background apps causing problems. If the software had been an issue then even my Nexus 5 charger would have had trouble...

Motorola support so far has been nearly useless but I have escalated the issue. One support guy told me that they expect a 4 hour charge time. This equates to a 5V 750mA charger. Does the company still think we are using Moto Razr from 2005? Another guy wasted half an hour asking scripted questions... I am actually shocked to know that such woefully underpowered phone chargers are even ordered for production these days. Even a USB 2 port supplies 5V 500mA and that wasn't even designed to act as a charger!

TLDR - buy the phone with the knowledge that the standard charger may not even work as paper weight (it is actually very light haha).



No comments:

Post a Comment