Saturday 16 July 2016

After upgrade from Android 4.2: Stuck with Android 5.1 and GApps for 4.2, unusable



I have painted myself into a corner with a Samsung Galaxy S 2. It is my
girlfriend's phone and she wanted to play Pokemon Go. The Android
version there was 4.2 (CyanogenMod) with appropriate Google Apps. It has been
working reasonably well.

Pokemon Go needs to have at least Android 4.4, so an update was due. There was
a CyanogenMod snapshot of 12.1 (Android 5.1) which was installable from within
the old CyanogenMod. I hoped that this would go through well and we did the
upgrade. After the upgrade it indeed had Android 5.1. However, the Google Apps
directly crash, especially the Trebuchet launcher. This means that one cannot
start any apps or use any Google services. Especially the Google Play Store
does not work, it shows the error message [RH-01].

I first thought that we had upgraded to Android 4.4, therefore I installed the
Open GApps nano for 4.4:

(Due to forums policy I am not allowed to hotlink or link to the images.
So this is the best I can do now.)

http ://i.imgur.com/DRHqxNx.jpg

This then (unsurprisingly) failed:

http ://i.imgur.com/qjzrDKw.jpg

At least the error message was really helpful! So then I downloaded Open
GApps nano for 5.1
. This then also failed because the GApps that I
have installed together with CyanogenMod years ago were not Open GApps but some
other package:

http ://i.imgur.com/0tI6eEn.jpg

At this point I got uneasy. Her phone turned into a paperweight with a
lockscreen. Since I could not seem to move the GApps forward without flashing
the ROM again, I tried to to so without wiping the data. For this I selected
the update mechanism in Cyanogen Recovery and flashed the Android 5.1
ROM onto the device. After this I tried to install the GApps again. However,
those still fail to install. Here I would guess that the CyanogenMod 12.1
“installer” does not wipe the system partition and leaving remnants of the old
GApps package there.

Since it got late I tried to at least get back to the old state and downloaded
the CyanogenMod with Android 4.2. Trying to flash this failed as the device
type was not picked up correctly:

http ://i.imgur.com/yZ9ilM1.jpg

I do not understand this error. This (or a very similar) version of CyanogenMod
has been present on the device up til yesterday. Why doesn't that work any
more.

A friend of mine suggested to replace the Cyanogen Recovery with the
TWRP. For this I have downloaded the appropriate IMG file from Team Win.
Then using heimdall-frontend on Linux I pulled out the PIT file and put the PIT
file back with the twrp.img file onto the recovery partition. Although the
heimdall-frontend told me that I had a success, there was still the Cyanogen
Recovery
.

My current guess is that this phone has hardware which does not allow for a
separate recovery partition unless there is an IsoRec kernel installed. The
CyanogenMod 12.1 should have that, but the recovery is probably the one from
the CyanogenMod 10.1 as the option to update the recovery partition was not
checked when performing the OTA upgrade.

I'm stuck and I have no idea how to get the phone into a working condition. Do
you perhaps have an idea what I could do now?



No comments:

Post a Comment